Welcome to the surfing capital of the north! La union, which means "The Union", got its name when the province was formed by uniting the
southern towns of Ilocos sur, the northern towns of Pangasinan
and the western towns of Benguet. With the
exception of the narrow lowland in the coastal areas, most of the province are hilly and mountainous. climate
is hot and dry from November to April and wet during the rest of the year.
La Union capitol is located on top of a hill.
The province is accesible by land, air, and sea. A plan to expand its port and airport in San Fernando City
to make them meet international standards is underway.
People and Culture
The people of La Union are mostly Ilocanos with few Ibaloys, Pangasinenses, and Tagalogs.
Economic Profile, Products and Industries
- Noel Cabangon - Singer / Composer from Rosario Municipality
- Clare R. Baltazar - 2001 National Scientist
- Bienvenido Nebres - 2011 National Scientist, Jesuit Priest, former President of the Ateneo De Manila University
- Lurcrecia R. Kasilag - 1989 National Artist for Dance
- Manuel Arguilla - A famous Filipino writer in English
- Camilo Osias - Writer, Educator, Senate President (1952)
- Gloria Diaz - Actress, First Miss Universe from the Philippines
Only a very small portion of province is arable. Much of the hills and mountains are grasslands. Agricultural production of La Union in 2007 are as follows (figure in thousand metric tons, rank among 79 provinces)
Animal inventory of La Union in 2007 are as follows (figure in thousand, rank among 79 provinces)
La Union is a favorite destination for beach combers and surfing enthusiasts. Its fine beaches particularly those
in the San Fernando City and Bauang are full of visitors especially during the summer months of March, April, and May. San Juan
town is being promoted as a good place for surfing.
The province has factories for the production of cement, galvanized iron sheets, and softdrinks. In 2007, 65 banks
were operating in the province with total deposits of 12.1 billion pesos.
Large Companies Operating in La Union
- Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines in San Fernando City
- Pepsi-Cola Products Philippines, Inc. in Rosario
- Bacnotan Consolidated Industries in Bacnotan
- Bauang Private Power Corporation in Bauang
The strategic location of the province makes it an ideal site for a regional office or headquarter. It is also
the recommended place for eco-tourism projects, agro-industrial plants and export-oriented industries. Commercial poultry
and hog raising are potential areas of investment because the province is near population centers such as the cities of
Dagupan, Urdaneta, Baguio, and Vigan.
A modern cold storage terminal should be put up.
See List of Municipalities and Cities of La Union
Tourist Spots/Places of Interest in La Union Province
- San Juan - Surfing Paradise
- Anito Falls in Santol Town
- Bauang Beaches
- Luna Pebbled Beach
La Union has white sand beaches like this one in San Juan town.
A river in Naguilian town
Back to top